Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Yep, most of the time that would work good enough. But sometimes it wouldn't. That's not to say that anything less than 9mm or .38 Special is an ill advised choice, though, since it's all a matter of finding a balance, and where everyone finds it is different. For me, it's 9mm/.38 Special as a floor. For others it could be .380, .32, .25, or even .22 rimfire. For some, it has to start with a four.

If I looked I could find examples where any truly portable, concealable handgun of any caliber failed to stop an aggressor from completing his/her objective. Such calibers would include the .22LR, .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .357 Sig, 10mm Auto, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Glock, .45 ACP. Handguns calibers are inherently underpowered. If you are really THAT concerned that your handgun will not protect you, due to current laws being interpreted differently toward white people vs. the rest of the world, you need to stay at home as much as possible. Blacks can demonstrate while brandishing AR-15s...we can't. Harden your home against home invasion, get some more pit bulls, and keep using your Food Saver Bag to fit your rifle and magazine in while you shower. Then, keep a nice sharp stainless steel blade in the shower to facilitate opening the heat-sealed freezer bag and gaining quick access to your rifle. If your assailant(s) don't succumb to center mass hits at PBR with a .308 WIN, your number is obviously up.