So a while back I picked up a pre-64 in 30-06. The previous owner cut the barrel down to 20" and parkerized the barrel, receiver, and bottom metal. Bolt was not parkerized.

So I have had this thing sitting around with a somewhat long term goal of using it for some sort of custom one day. I figured I would throw the thoughts I have been having on here and see what the fire can come up with.

My goal for the rifle is to have a light, handy for general knock around use. Would be mainly using it here in East Texas on the family ranch. Our ranch tends to be heavily wooded with a lot of hardwood creek bottoms just to give you an idea of terrain it would be on. I love to take a rifle and just go walking, shooting pigs along the way. Would also use it out of a truck while out and about.

Now for my thoughts so far on what to do with it. While 30-06 is completely and totally adequate for this, probably even optimal, I have had a strong interest in a 338-06 as it seems like it would be a fun one on pigs. So I have thought maybe have the rifle bored out to a 338-06 by JES. From there I was thinking of dropping it in some sort of lightweight synthetic stock. No idea what the right choice for that is. Would also like to add a barrel band sling swivel. I like being able to sling rifles low for going into brush.

I would also like to do a more weather, sweat, and knock about resistant finish for it. Was googling cerakoting earlier today and ran into a thread where someone suggested hard chrome. That really intrigued me, but certainly open to suggestions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]