Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
Before reboring you might try loading a few boxes of Nosler 200 grain partitions and shoot them for a season.

There's a lot of wisdom in this post^^^^^^^^^

Oh I know the 30-06 works great. I killed a 150 pound sow with that rifle about five minutes after I took that picture the other evening. (I took the picture in the evening, went hunting, then posted this thread when I got home). So hunting isn't something I do every fall. I am killing stuff all year long. I don't go a week without dropping a couple of pigs.

A sub magnum 338 has intrigued me since I first saw the 338 federal. The 338-06 has just been even more interesting to me. I am thinking about doing one because I have gotten comfortable enough with my reloading that having a cartridge I pretty much have to reload for doesn't worry me anymore. I reload nearly all my hunting ammo these days. The primary advantage to me on the 338-06 isn't that I think it will necessarily kill significantly better. It is more the increased bore size lightening the barrel and getting a little better theoretical performance in a shorter barrel due to the increased bore size allowing for more complete powder burn.

I am glad you have chimed in here though bsa, it was a thread of yours that kind of sent me down this road. You had a thread a while back I think where you did something somewhat similar. I believe it was that thread that I actually saw the comment about doing a hard chrome finish.

I like your enthusiasm you have for wanting to go with a different cartridge. Many of us have been there and tried that, now it seems it's your turn. It's fun as hell, messing with different cartridges and platforms (rifles, stocks, scopes, cartridges, bullets). That's what makes us "rifle loonies". If you are bound and determined to go with 338-06, then it's going to happen. It will kill hogs, bear, deer and elk with the best of them. Just as the 35 Whelen, 9.3x62mm, 8x57 and all the rest out there. My favorite cartridge is the 338WM and the 30-06, they are just the 2 I always come back to. I'd say build the 338-06, but don't be surprised when you come back full circle to the old 06. It happens to the best of us.... Post pics of the rifle, the animals and targets you shoot with it and good luck with your build. Should be a damn fine rifle, whatever road you take... By the way, your rifle looks cool with the short carbine length barrel. Should make for a damn handy tool out in the woods... cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA