I have never heard of the Bridges Mcmillan stock before. That seems like an interesting choice. This rifle won't be used or fired from a stand often. It doesn't make it into the carry rotation often right now in large part to it's weight and it falls into a strange place for given it's current finish.

I have probably only killed about 10-15 hogs with it and a few doe on cull hunts in about three years of owning it, so it hasn't gotten out much. All of those have been taken from a standing or field position, none from a stand or rest beyond maybe a tree or fence post.

So stock recommendations, please keep that in mind. On the finish, what I mean by it fits in a strange place is that it isn't blued and pretty. I have lots of rifles that are more aesthetically pleasing finishes I like to use when the weather is perfect and I won't be working the rifle hard. But, I don't think of parkerizing as being a really superior finish for weather and wear resistance either. The bolt is still the original bluing, and a fair bit of it is worn off.

So when I think about refinishing it, my thought process is that it isn't optimized for look or function. So in my mind, being that is already refinished to a degree as to remove collector value, it is a perfect pre-64 candidate for doing something a little bit radical with a classic action.

Changing the caliber to 338-06 is just something I thought would be cool to play with. 30-06 is certainly enough for my uses, but I like to play with different stuff just because. Also, some of the pigs I run into down here I don't mind punching a little bigger hole in.