Please don't think I'm trying to cause a fuss. This is a question asked in ignorance.

I've only seen one Ruger #1 carried into the deer woods. It was also the only time I saw a deer hunter wear a strap-on recoil pad. I forget the chambering.

Very few Ruger #1's ever show up around Cincinnati. I've seen a couple at the range over the years. I have a buddy who has one that's been in the closet for 40 years. However, he's a retired gun editor and an old friend of Bill Ruger, so I can't say he even counts. I'm sure whatever it is, it has a low serial # and has a whopping good story attached to it.

From what I can gather, Ruger #1's are something you either get or you don't. I don't know if it's a recessive gene or early training or what. From what I gather, they're not known for excessive accuracy. They cost about twice what a normal bolt gun costs and they don't have any magazine. However, those who own them seem to love them.

I'm asking this from a fellow who's in his 60th year and still hasn't gotten the joke. What's up with the Ruger #1? Why do they cost so much? Why do I want one?

Last edited by shaman; 01/10/18.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer