I think the title "why a Ruger #1" invites the response: "If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer".

30 years ago in the first few years of hunting I saw someone carrying a gun that did not have a bolt handle.... it might have been a No 1, I don't know for sure. Other than that, I have never seen a No1 in the woods/mountains/desert that wasn't mine. They just are not as popular....

They are more expensive, harder to get accurate, don't hold quite as many rounds in the magazine compared to a bolt or AR-15....

but they sure look nice!!!!! there's just something cool about them!

even the one's that aren't accurate (several of mine) will hold "minute of elk"

My reaction time is not fast enough for a follow up shot on a animal regardless of gun... usually by the time I recover from recoil and bring the scope back on, the animal is in on the ground out of sight. Well this one trotted a bit.... then fell over.

[Linked Image]

Here in AZ we don't get drawn every year and when we do, we spend a lot of time walking around or sitting and glassing..... so we might as well have a really nice looking cool rifle slung over the shoulder or resting in the lap while waiting.... right?

My favorite 2 rifles are pretty much the opposite extremes of the shooting sports... the No1 and the AR15.

shoot good!

Poole