Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Good friend of mine from SA told me years ago

You folks are killing more folks in LA county in a week that are killed in our whole country in a month. Kind of changed my way of thinking about how their news is reported here.

You may want to change the way you look at things again.

LA county 2017 murders were just under 300 (The peak was in the 90s at a little over 1000 per year)
South Africa April 2016 through March 2017 murders were over 19,000

South Africa Murders

LA County Murders

Just be sure to compare apples with apples. In RSA, out of 60 Million people, 50 Million are black African. They deal with crime the African way, so majority of those numbers are black on black within their communities. You can never compare Africa to the USA. We still have tribes for crying out loud, and if someone steps out of line, they will take care of him themselves in manners that you do not want to imagine. ( See "Necklacing") When I say within their communities, I don't mean the hood like in the USA, with gangsters walking around with iPhones, and their jeans around their knees either. I'm talking about tribes that still live in mud huts.
That is the reality when you are vastly in the minority, especially in Africa. Stats will always look skewed.

Guys, please understand one thing. Many might say I'm simply saying this because I have business interest here. I could pack up my stuff tomorrow. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering while my wife has an MBA. My wife and I have no children, so nothing is keeping us here. If it was as bad as the media makes it out to be, I would be out of here.
Africa will always have its problems, but let Africa sort itself out. I'm not for one second saying South Africa does not have it's own problems. We do have farm attacks. We do have racial tension.
(Nothing new.) We do have crime. It is not stopping me from living. My wife and I still go for walks in the evenings.
Don't paint the entire South Africa with the same brush. I'm still fine here.

If any one has any specific questions, regarding South Africa, your safety concerns, maybe you have a trip coming up, please feel free to PM me. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Marius,

I understand your frustration and hope you enjoy your walk with your bow.

How many times do we read how dangerous Zimbabwe is. Having traveled all over Zim and having spent a fair amount of non hunting time there I have never felt unsafe. A friend from high school that has lived there for over 30 years and sorry for us in the States. Most people will never believe that, they only see the bad side. It is like judging crime in Louisiana by looking at New Orleans.

But it is also extremely inaccurate to say they are twice as many murders in LA county than the whole of South Africa. But hey, we have tribal warfare also. Now it is more Mexican gangs but at one time it was the Crypts and Bloods killing each other. Even locally we have a number of shootings in public where nobody saw anything and the next day there is a retaliatory shooting and again nobody saw anything.

Good luck on your upcoming season. Hope you are getting rain where it is most needed.

Last edited by Mike70560; 02/28/18.