Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Redneck
Looks like you have a bit of infestation with mustard.. A pita, that... We get it here too. For those that wish to get a bale or two of straw for garden mulch, they pay attention to just WHO they get it from.. Nothing worse than a bale contaminated with mustard..

This was no till wheat, and the usual practice is to spray and burn down the existing vegetation before planting. That I did not do, as it was late, and I wasn't sure the Roundup would work that well, and besides we originally weren't planning on cutting the wheat for hay. I had drilled fescue with the wheat, and was planning on grazing the wheat, then pasturing it this spring. But, we had an early cold spell which meant that the wheat didn't get big enough, and we didn't get the field fenced, so I decided to cut it for hay after all. There was a lot of cheatgrass in spots too, so this field won't make what it should. I cut another field of wheat on ground that was in tobacco last year, and the two combined should give us enough hay to see us through the winter.

I hate having weeds of any kind in my hay, because it's usually going to mean seeds that get spread. One of our worst weeds around here is wild buttercups in the spring pasture. They're hard to get rid of, because when you spray for them, you'll kill your clover. I sprayed a low rate of 2-4-D last year, which burnt them down, but did not hurt the pasture. They came right back this spring. That's something I've got to figure out how to deal with.

Good info - thank you.

Yeah, first crop hay will be cut starting this Thursday, I think - and that crop is usually chock full of dandelion growth.. But once that's done and ready for 2nd crop, the alfalfa's quite clean. We also need rain here - haven't had more than .3-.4 since the last 15" of snow melted.. Gettin' very dry.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!