I had a deer lease in Coleman county. The old farmer we leased from told us a lot about how he farmed in the 40’s 50’s and 60’s. He rotated wheat, Cotten and milo on his land. He was leasing his farming out by the time we got on his place. He had sheep also. He said it would take him two weeks to disc and seed. The guys he leased to would show up with their equipment on Saturday afternoon, in 8 hours they would be gone. Newer, better equipment has made it possible to do a lot more by yourself I guess, but I know you guys work you asses off. Those of us that eat the food you raise appreciate you! How do you not worry yourself to death about getting enough rain or too much. Mr. Sparks talked about the weather a lot. He used to say, boys we need a little timely rain, not no damn gulley warsher, just a good soakin rain! He finally passed away and his kids sold the place. I was on there for 25 years. He was the only farmer-rancher I’ve ever talked with at length, that’s why I enjoy this thread. You all live in a world few of us understand.

Mr. Sparks hated deer. There were so many, the first 20 rows didn’t produce anything. The deer ate it. They didn’t eat the green foliage on the Cotten, but they ate the blooms. It was nothing to see 150 deer in the winter wheat, forty or more bucks out there. The places I hunt now are dog crap compared to that lease.