Like many on this list, I occasionally have an urge to own a rifle bigger than I'll ever actually "need". Why? Because.

Two rifles that have gotten a lot of favorable press lately, and that fit into the category of "bigger than I need" include the CZ 550 in 9.3x62, and the Ruger Hawkeye in .375 Ruger. I've read every magazine article and post on these two cartridge/rifles that I can get my hands on. They do interest me. I like the idea of a fairly lightweight, packable, "thumper".

At this point in my life the biggest "probable" targets that such rifles would be used on, would be grizzlies and moose. Africa is only a pipedream, at this point - still, one lives in hope that someday that dream might become a reality.

I was thinking that it was interesting that rifles firing these bigger than average bullets, were getting as much press in the magazines and interest in these postings. I guess that means I'm not alone in my being interested in such things.

I was thinking that these two rifles were quite similar in what they brought to the table. Then, this morning I punched in the figures into my favorite "recoil calculator" (Beartooth Bullets website) and lo and behold, I found that there wasn't much similarity in these two cartridge/rifles at all - at least on the way they would affect ones shoulder.

The 9.3x62 uses about 64 grains of powder to shoot 250 grain bullets at up to about 2650fps and about 57 grains of powder to shoot 286 grain bullets at up to 2500fps. The rifle weighs about 8lbs and I allowed an extra lb for the scope and rings. These loads, according to the calculator, gives about 32ft.lb recoil and have a recoil velocity of 15fps for both of them.

The 375 Ruger uses about 86 grains of powder to shoot 270 grain bullets at up to about 2850fps and about 82 grains of powder to shoot 300 grain bullets at up to 2700fps. This rifle weighs about 7.5 lbs and I allowed the same extra pound for scope and rings. Both of these loads are supposed to recoil at about 54ft.lbs of recoil and have a recoil velocity of 20fps.

Wow! I would never have believed that these two different rifle/cartridge combinations would produce such different figures. That is more than 60% more recoil - for the Ruger 375, over the CZ 9.3X62. For those that have shot both - do they really feel THAT different?

Would they be that different - on game?

I guess if a Cape Buffalo in Africa ever became a reality - only the 375 would be legal in most countires. But over here, I wonder what the practical differences would be?

What are your thoughts?

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."