Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

The Whelan has had 19 years legitimacy to impress the shooting world and has not gained much ground. I doubt it will be here in another 19 years.
Hope you enjoy your whelan. My opinion does not make me right.

AGW

Actually, the Whelen has been "legitimate" in the eyes of American shooters since Howe and The Colonel developed it in 1920. It has always been a specialty round for specific uses. Depending on the tastes and purchasing practices of the general American shooting public for guidance is kind of a losing proposition, in my opinion. For one thing, it kicks a little to hard for the bulk of hunters, who think a .308 is a pretty powerful rifle.

The Whelen will be exactly where it is now 20 years from now -- popular among enough shooters to keep making brass, and for the occasional manufacturing run of new rifles. I don't expect it to ever become wildly popular, but it seems to have staying power.

I get over 2500 fps with 250 gr Woodleigh Weldcores and Hornady RN's, and sub-MOA groups at 200 yards. This is more than sufficient for all of my needs. While I have more powerful rifles, I have no great need for anything beyond the good Colonel's brainchild.

What works for me may not be right for anyone else... grin.

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."