I'm guessing Ray's comments are based on experience predating some of the best powders for the 458wm. I have no compaction issues with my elephant loads at all, either with 500gr Woodleighs at 2135fps using AA2230 or 450gr North Forks at 2190 using H4895 and both loads offer plenty of penetration.

Indy, I used 500gr Woodleighs over AA2230 this past September and October on several elephants and noted no temperature issues. Temps were over 100* many days. But my load is lighter than yours I believe.

BTW, my objections with AA2230 and 450gr North Forks were somewhat inconsistent velocity and dirty barrels. Since my rifle shot the 450gr North Forks better with the H4895 at sufficient velocity to get the job done and some and left no residue in the barrels I went with it. My rifle is a double rifle so getting the barrels shooting together is the overriding goal once performance citeria are reached.

I believe the truncated cone shape of the North Forks is what provides their amazing performance. But, as I believe Peter has confirmed, I am sure the Barnes will do all that you need.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 05/24/07.