Originally Posted by 458Win
JWP475
Since Wadcutters are the ultimate flat nose bullet and, if one believes the "flat nose penetrate better" crowd are correct, then obviously they should penetrate farther than anything else.
Also, since some folks believe pistols with low SD, flat nosed bullets at low velocity will out penetrate heavy rifles !?

I was being facetious.

If you were as sharp as you think you are you would know that a wadd cutter is not accurate to much distance and that they are not of optimum meplat size for proper penetration. A meplt of 78% of bullet diameter with a trunecated cone shape seems to be optimum for great pentration in the 475 to 500 cal. Revolvers. I have seen a 425 grain 500JRH with a 78% meplat out penetrarte a 500 grain out of a 500 Linebagh with a 72% meplat and pentrate the same as a 525 grain out of a 500 Linebaugh with a 77% meplat and a radised nose. The same 525 grain shot from a 50 Alaskan revolver did not pentrate more than the 500 Linebaugh despite nearly 500 fps more velocity. Like I stated earlier the Gentleman in New Orleans has killed a lot of Elephants ( It i said to be 100 bull Elephants,not counting cows) and I tend to think that he has a bit of experience,as he has used both revolver and rifle....... JPK whom also has a lot of experience with the rifles on Elephant stated that round nose solids do not penetrate as far as flat point solids.and that his favorite solid is a 450 flat point,there is a dfinate trend that indicates that SD is not the only factor.......apparently these subttle yet important differences escapes you..........[Linked Image]

Just for the record your condisending tone did not escape me..........[Linked Image]

[Quote] by JPK
Another point, flat nose mono solids outperform roundnose solids. I do not know if the flat nose advantage reduces the required velocity for reliable penetration for use on elephants. My own flat nose mono solid load shoots a 450gr bullet at 2190fps, faster than my 2135fps current 500gr round nose load.
[Quote]

I believe that JPK has quite a bit of experience on Elephant and I believe that his answer carries a bit of wieght.......

Last edited by jwp475; 05/30/07.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first