Originally Posted by gatekeeper
I forgot to mention, that 30-06 ballistic Tip also came apart, separating the core form the jacket. This at modest velocity, and on a small animal. They are indeed very accurate, but to me, are to soft. I understand each bullet is purpose designed, and the 30 cal 180 is a much tougher bullet, but the a smallish whiteail buck at modest velocity from a 30-06 just didn't impress me any.

Odd I have had so many exits and perfect performances from 30 caliber Ballistic Tips weighing 150 and 165 grains from both a 308 and a 30-06 pushed to factory velocities I consider them both top notch deer bullets. I have found them very occasionally with their core and jacket separated but lying right next to each other under the hide on the far side. I have had them separate when I handled them. How long ago did this "failure" happen? Obviously the deer died or you wouldn't have been able to recover the bullet. As for good 7MM Remington magnum loads I like R22 and run either the 150 gr. Ballistic Tips or the 160 gr. Partition, the former for Mule deer and the latter for elk. If all I had loaded were the Ballistic Tips I would happily use them for elk.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]