John,
Had an hour long visit via What’s App with one of my PH pals this morning. We had a discussion about COVID, the lockdown, kudu populations, and so on.
We had a very brief discussion about cartridges primarily because the topic had been discussed before. As always, he thinks anything will work provided the hunter can hit the right spot with a good bullet. He mentioned that many local hunters favor the 308 for collecting their plains game. Early on, he used a 30/06 as his camp rifle but now uses a 270 after watching one perform successfully on many occasions.
He thinks a 375 H&H is fully capable on buffalo. A few years ago he won a 470 double and promptly traded it for a new Land Cruiser. He has a great deal of respect for wounded buffalo having had several of his friends killed by them. A well placed first shot is of primary importance.
Another PH from Namibia hunts Caprivi. He uses his 308 for everything including buffalo and has been doing so successfully in the 20+ years I have known him. He carries his 375 primarily to make his clients feel like they are with a “real” PH.
Incidentally, there is going to be some great plains game hunting as soon as the travel ban is lifted. Those animals are eating and reproducing and the numbers will be very high. My pal says he is seeing more big kudu bulls than in many years.
As you know I have used the 270 and 280 mostly. If I had a 6.5 CM I‘d load some ETip or TTSX and get going. I may drag my new 30/06 if I need a bigger “high powered” big game hunting rifle.
Let’s go!

Last edited by RinB; 08/14/20.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.