Dear Salish,

When you see old photos of the Winchester 1895, you often see the Lyman 21 receiver sight. This is the one with the long bar on the left side of the receiver, the gradations, etc. - just as you describe. When the action is cycled, the Lyman remains in place. Winchester would supply these Lyman 21's on order as a factory-installed item. For example, my Winchester Model 1895 rifle in .35 Winchester was, according to the factory letter from Cody, shipped with a "Lyman receiver sight." They didn't specify Lyman 21, because, in 1904, there seems to have been just one type of these long left-side bar Lymans. This is, technically, the "climbin' Lyman." You raise it to change the elevation.

Later on (and I don't know exactly when; perhaps a knowledgeable poster can help), Lyman improved the sight by making it adjustable for windage. This improved version is the Lyman 38, and it is the Lyman 38 that Buffalo Arms is having reproduced. The 1916 Winchester catalogue has a picture of a Lyman receiver sight - no model number stated. The text says, "Wind Gauge Receiver Sight ... $5.00." That is probably the 38. It also states "Receiver Sight for Model 1895 ... $3.50." That is probably the Model 21. The 1928 Winchester catalogue lists the "Lyman No. 21 Receiver Sight." The 1940 Stoeger "Shooter's Bible" lists, in its section on Lyman Receiver Gun Sights, "No. 38 - Lyman Wingauge Receiver Sight - Price $6.50, with disc if desired, price $7.00. No. 21 - Similar to No. 38, without windgauge - Price $5.00. For Marlin 1893; Winchester 1886, 1894, and 1895. Used by shooters who prefer having the rear right on the receiver rather than on the tang. Tap and drill for mounting, price ... 50 cents."

The Lyman 21 on my Model 1895 works very well - far superior to the standard quasi-buckhorn type rear sights that were standard. The Lyman 38, with adjustment for windage, should, of course, be still better.

The sight that you mention as being mounted on the bolt itself may be the Winchester Model 98 A bolt peep sight. I have never seen one of these on a Model 1895. I do, however, have one on my 1940-vintage Model 71. I find the 98 A to be an excellent sight. Yes, the sight picture is disturbed when the action is cycled, but, given the hefty recoil of the .348 Winchester, the sight picture was going to be somewhat disturbed anyway. (At least for me!) I do re-acquire the sight picture very easily after the rifle settles down after recoil (and all that happens relatively simultaneously with working the lever). On another Model 71, I use the Williams FP 71 receiver sight, which remains stationary on the receiver when the action is cycled. For me, since I am used to the 98 A, it is about half dozen of one, and six of the other. My son, however, prefers the stationary Williams FP 71. I suspect that would be true of anyone who came new to it.

For hunting purposes, I screw out the aperture disc and simply use the remaining "ghost ring." It is superior for low-light conditions and seems more than sufficiently accurate for the shots I have taken. I use the supplied disc to sight in, but then check without the disc to see if the result is still pretty much the same. It almost invariably is.

Buffalo Arms has had these Lyman 38 repros listed for quite some time. They have taken a number of orders, and I have several on order myself. A month or so ago, I was told that one was due to arrive shortly for photographing, to be put in their catalogue. My transactions with this firm have all been good, and I am waiting patiently for the Lyman 38's to make their appearance.

I hope that this helps, Salish. Good shooting (and sighting!) to you!

Redcoat