Dear Salish,

Please feel free to use any information that I have supplied in seeking to track down the full story on the Lyman Model 21 and the Lyman Model 38.

Thank you for the link to the Model 1895 .30-06 takedown rifle. Yes, I believe that is a Lyman 21; it appears to be the same as the one on my 1904 vintage .35 Winchester.

You might want to purchase an excellent book on the older metallic sights. It is Nicholas Stroebel's "Old Gunsights: A Collector's Guide, 1850-1965." I do not own a copy myself, but I found that Ray Rilings Arms Books has them for $10.49 - lst edition, new, softcover - on a list price of $29.95, so I am going to call and order one! (See what you did to me!) Their address is as follows: sales@rayrilingarmsbooks.com and their 'phone is 215-438-2456. That might be easier than writing to Lyman.

Trifocals actually helped me with iron sights (I am 53). That doesn't make sense (to me), but it has happened. As yet, I have not had to go to the magnifying lens that fits onto one's eyeglasses. Elmer Keith was one of the first to use such a gizmo aeons ago. A scope is easier, of course, and helps in low light situations, but I simply cannot overcome my adversion to shooting classic top-loading levers with sighting equipment that was not customary with them. I suppose I am an unrepentant traditionalist.

Focus exercises have also helped me, as has - very simply - concentrating on seeing things better in the outdoors. Eyes take a set in the office - and at the keyboard!

Best wishes!

Redcoat