Trifocals actually helped me with iron sights (I am 53). That doesn't make sense (to me), but it has happened. As yet, I have not had to go to the magnifying lens that fits onto one's eyeglasses. Elmer Keith was one of the first to use such a gizmo aeons ago. A scope is easier, of course, and helps in low light situations, but I simply cannot overcome my adversion to shooting classic top-loading levers with sighting equipment that was not customary with them. I suppose I am an unrepentant traditionalist.

Focus exercises have also helped me, as has - very simply - concentrating on seeing things better in the outdoors. Eyes take a set in the office - and at the keyboard!

I agree, completely, that modern sighting equipment just looks wrong on a classic, 19th century design. My problem is a worsening astigmatism that has me sighting through the absolute worst part of my eyeglass lense, when shooting. I've been considering contact lenses but I've spent all this time honing the reflex to shut mey eyes when sombody tries to stick their finger in it (even myself). I don't know if that would work out.

But, now you have me thinking and that's always bad news. There are repro tang sights available from Lyman and Marble Arms that are period correct and can be modified to accept the [color:"red"]B. Jones Sight[/color] lens inserts. I use them on my Match M1A and they do help, some. I'm sure any peep sight could be modifies to take the inserts.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis