Mr. MarlinMark:
As one who has had the dubious distinction of having some stitches put in without freezing, I can�t say I recommend the practice, cause it isn't pleasant.

I am an Occupational First Aid attendant at work, and we use a product called Steri-Strips if we can get them, as opposed to the Johnsons� Butterfly bandage, as the Steri-Strips stick better. We�ve found that a product called �Friar�s Balsam� helps any self adhering bandage to stick better, especially on hands which can sweat Butterflys off in short order sometimes.

You asked about what requires stitches. For us, any laceration that is 1� or more long or is across a joint, like a knuckle and is �full thickness of skin� that is through the layers, requires us to ship the injured worker to Emergency for stitches. The most important thing is to really clean out the wound before suturing, and that can hurt more than the stitches. Yes, again the banged up voice of experience here. We use sterile water for cleaning out the wound, but I�ve had Emergency nurses use sterile water and a scrub brush on me��

While I do carry a suture kit that a friend got from the local OR, I pray never to have to use it on myself. Good on you for thinking ahead though.

All the best,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"