Originally Posted by MarlinMark
Great info. I like the idea of just irigating and dressing. I sure don't want to close something up and have a greater chance of making it worse than better. I'll carry some steri strips and the friars.

So, the friar's is applied to the area that you want the steri strips to stick to? It aids in keeping them stuck? Do I have that right?

Mark

The Friars is "painted" on the area you want anchor the steri-strips. Let it dry to a tacky consistancy, happens pretty quick so no big deal, put one end of the steri-strip on across the wound and pull it tightly across and put that end on the skin on the otherside. Try to line up the edges of the wound, helps it to heal if that is all you plan to do, but more importantly, by lining up the wound edges, it will help keep it clean, thus minimizing the chance of infection even more. Oh yeah, don't forget to get a tetanus shot. I usually make sure I am up to date yearly. ANY doubts about the wound, see a doctor!
FWIW, I carry 1/4" and 1/2" wide steri-strips in my kit, friars, telfa, pressure dressings and tape. Elasto plast dressings in the wider sizes can double as both the dressing and the tape.