I agree with Allen, the 416 Rem is the most practical route, and it comes in a lighter version than the Rigby. Mine have all been on the pre 64 Win action or the 98 Mauser..

The Rigby is a fine old round, but its a waste of a big action IMO...If I had that big action, I'd go wild and build me a 500 something or other. I don't like packing all that extra weight that goes with the 416 Rigby or any of the big case rounds. For a true big bore I'c opt for the 500 Jefferys on a 98 Mauser. but recoil is a factor and the big bore recoil dictates a slow recovery and I think about all those buffalo that die at your feet! that extra shot might be a good thing.

As much as I love the old .375, the 416s are much better, and if you get in a charge situation and you probably will sooner or later if you hunt buffalo long enough, then you will more than appreciate it..

I would like to bring to everyones attention that buffalo are normally killed with 3 to 5 shots average. Those bragging one shot instant kills are flukes, or they are brain and spine shots. In 40 years of hunting and culling buffalo I have had one instant kill with a shoulder shot as I recall.

I am told by some vet. med. boys that a charging buffalo can be killed instantly with a heart shot if the bullet makes contact with the bull the instant his front feet hit the ground as that will flush the brain with a surge of blood that kills him by stroke or something like that. I have witnessed this but I don't know but what the bullet also hit the spine.

I see the .416 as a moderation caliber, not too much recoil, but still has the ability to stop a charge with any animal. The 375 and 458 Lott and up for example are extremes in opposite directions.

If one can handle the weight on long 15 mile walks, can handle the recoil, and shoot the 458 Lott and up as well as he shoots a .223 then that's your best choice. But trash the macho and be honest with yourself or you are making one big mistake. I have to really concentrate with the Lott to shoot it, tell myself the recoil won't kill me etc. and I can shoot it, but I don't want to deal with this in Africa and I shoot the 404 and 416 Rem like I do a 22 L.R..

If you shoot and feel better with a .375 then thats the gun for you, but shoot all the caliber you can.

All that said, one must come to his own conclusion, and live with it. That is what makes a horse race, otherwise we would all still be using the 06!! smile I chose moderation with the 416 Rem.

Last edited by atkinson; 11/29/07.