When it comes to guns and calibers, "I have heard" is something that I dismiss right off the bat..I would rather someone said "I happen to know because it happened to me"

I have used the .416 Remington since its birth, I may have bought one of the first ones and I used a necked up .375 prior to that and I still use a .416 Rem today..I have never seen or had any signs of pressure from it and if one does its because he poked too damn much powder in its belly, end of story and yes even the factory will do that on ocassion, the .458 Win is a prime example of that...If the .416 Rem has pressure then the .375 would have to have the same malady for sure and even more so as its bore is smaller.

My all time favorite caliber of DG is the .404 Jefferys, but its a pain to maintain and everyone I ever had someone else had to have it...but the .416 Rem is more practical and just as good in every way and even better in some ways...

Although 82 or 83 grs of RL-15 is max, a mild load of 79 grs of RL-15 and any decent 400 gr. bullet will kill any animal on the planet earth and do it real well if you stick the bullet in the right spot and if you don't stick in the the right spot then neither will a .577 N.E. That load will get you right at 2400 FPS in a 26" barrel and just a tad less in a shorter barrel..My short tubed (20") got 2340 FPS with that load, and that is plenty good..

I have no problem with the .416 Rigby other than its a waste of that big ole action, I would rebarrel it to a 500 Jefferys were it mine. I have never been able to build a 416 Rigby at under 10 pounds unloaded. More like 11.5 or more with scope,mounts, loaded, and maybe with a sling. I can get a 416 Rem in at several pounds less for whatever that is worth. Its worth a bunch to my 72 year old body! smile

Last edited by atkinson; 12/06/07.