Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by koshkin
They seem to be falling a little behind on product development at the moment. Hopefully, they will start releasing something new soon or they will Leupold themselves into a tricky situation.

ILya

Snipped your post down just to address this point.

Many simply don't understand the volume of scopes Leupold sells. When a company sells everything it can produce before it is produced on has to wonder what more can be done so using "Leupold" as a verb is sort of strange in that context.

Leupold just released the new MK 4 line which has met with, litterally, unprecedented demand. Off the charts level of demand.

I get that it's sort of a hobby here to be against the biggest player in the scope market but to act like Leupold is behind in inovation is simply silly.
Originally Posted by Teal
To be fair tho - demand isn't a measurement for innovation.

Tacomas have very high demand but they are NOT innovative. Push rod v6 with low hp/tq and fuel mileage, manual trans, body on frame etc. High demand, well behind the curve in innovation. People buy them IN SPITE of this.

That said - end of the day a scope has 1 maybe 2 jobs - ensure the bullet goes where you intend it via the crosshairs. Outside of clarity and robustness, what else can/should be improved in a riflescope as we currently know it? Automatic ranging maybe?

I was addressing the false idea Leupold was not innovating. The fact that such innovation in the new MK 4 has produced massive demand is simply one more data point.

The Tacoma anology is much more inline with Leupolds older VX-3 product lines which still enjoy huge demand but are older using well older proven tech.

As you have admitted you are not much of a scope guy so I understand why you would try and use a poor anology.

What can be improved on is the cost of top line performance. That's were the MK 4 is a stand out.

Originally Posted by Big Stick
Reupold is sooooo fhuqked up,they fixed the erector in my Spotting Scope. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Lil Fish,

The fact you don't understand that all spotting scopes have an erector to flip the image, and Leupold installs the reticle in the erector on the spotting scopes, is always good for a smile.

Keep on being you.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]
Originally Posted by Teal
DEMAND is not a proxy for INNOVATION. That has nothing to do with scopes, it an economic/business principle. If I introduced a tire for 11 bucks a set that was basically just a Goodyear from 2 years ago - demand would go through the roof but I've not innovated a damned thing when it comes to the tire.

What's innovative for the new line? Not innovative compared to Leupold's current wares - innovative compared to the industry. What's the MK4 doing at their price point that no other scope brand can do at the same price point? Performance wise.

More performance for lower consumer cost can be simply producing a line at a loss if you have the wallet and will. "Loss Leader" is a real term/thing. That's not innovation unless they ALSO increased/maintained margin. Have they?

LOL.

If you don't understand why the MK 4 is innovative it's not the scope for you. Lots of scopes these days so pick something different to not buy.

Save some Leupold for the rest of us because they are behind in production for the massive demand.

I don't have any interest in the current MK 4 line up but I understand why there is such a large demand. Feature set for the price and Made in USA.

"Loss Leader" and Leupold are terms I have never seen anyone in the industry use in the same sentence so that made me smile.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.