Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It’s apparent that if you watch the video that the ship made a pretty damned dramatic hard turn to hit that support. Why? I’m not saying it was on purpose or terrorism, but why? I mean if the ship was in the channel as alleged and from all the videos and diagrams I’ve seen it looks like once you are in the channel it’s a straight shot out. So, if you’re going straight in the channel and the power goes out, you’re likely to coast through and under the bridge if you do nothing. Presumably, the current in that spot is running out with the river, so it shouldn’t have caused that hard turn.

So for me, I would like to know why the hard turn? Because, it’s there if you watch.

Current, tide, and wind can individually or jointly work to point the ship somewhere different than you want it to go, most especially after you lose propulsion. I'm recalling one time going out the channel to sea (maybe Kings Bay, not sure) and we had Standard rudder on just to crab in a straight line.

There are so many possible variables at play that it's simply not possible for us to draw any conclusions based on the information that we have. A transit is a continuous series of rudder corrections.

I think it would be fun to be on the inside investigating, just because of the complexity, but yeah, hardly worth guessing at this point, there's so much hasn't been revealed.