Thanks all for your responses. I am going to try to go to the range this week and get some good pics of the rifle and to try some different ammo types. Hopefully the results will be as pleasing as last week's. I'll post the pics for your viewing pleasure.

The troubling thing is that this rifle seems to have inspired me. All of a sudden I find myself considering downsizing or doing away with other hobbies, in which I have a lot of interest but only minimal participation, in order to finance handloading and regular practice with this rifle. I also keep contemplating future upgrades in optics, stock, etc. and Have already blown my budget by replacing the stock trigger unit with one from Timminey (Excelent BTW). I even find myself hoping that I am able to shoot enough to wear out the barrel so that I can justify putting a a premium grade barrel on it in the future. When things all shake out I would probably have been better off to just buy a custom rifle but my budget wouldn't have allowed that.

I don't think these feelings are so much a product of the rifle itself, but rather the cartridge it fires. It's simply that this rifle is just a lot more fun, and consistent to shoot than my 7mm magnum. Even though and am no whimp and Im good with my 7mm, the 308, because it is so enjoyable, has inspired me to shoot any time I get the chance rather than just when I am preparing for a hunt. Hopefully this will make me a better marksman no matter what rifle I have in hand.

My vision for this rifle in the future is a Custom Heavy Sporter with components of high enough quality, and with which I have practiced enough, that I can reliably and ethically engage targets out to 600yds (maybe further) and game out to 350.

Disclaimer: I hunt mostly white tail and the reason I don't really want to shoot much farther on game than 350 is {1} ethics and {2} I have found from past experience that judging deer much past 300 yards gets to be a bit unreliable for me unless I have a spotting scope; which I am definately not going to be toating around in the field unless I have a partner to serve as a spotter and help carry gear.

Anticdote: The my 350 yd maximum is a product of an experience that I had. I once wasted a buck tag on a spike I thought was a doe after watching he/she/it for ten minutes at 300yds. Turned out those ears were really good at hiding spikes at that range. That was years ago and I am a lot more careful now, but still It made an impression that things arent always what they seem at longer ranges. Conversely, you can tell a monster buck from 1000yds and I have been able to identify them that far away. But even then I feel that I should make sure to show respect by getting close enough to make a reliable shot. 300 yards seems to be a good number for me right now given my skill level, the accuracy of my 7mm, and my ability to judge game at extended distances.