Originally Posted by Homesteader
Pete E. - I own Stainless HOWA's, Vanguards, and Ruger All Weather's while living in South Florida. While not "rust proof" they are "rust restistant" to a far greater degree than blued chrome moly steel. Despite the specific SS formula they do need a rub-down, every now and again , with an oily rag. When Hurricane "Andrew" blew thru here in August 1992 I was without power/AC for a very long time. You could watch the mold grow on leather (and bread), rust on steel. IF intended for use in the Southeast, I use SS no matter the formula. Believe this true for any humid clime i.e. Alaska coastal, Everglades, etc. Regards, Homesteader.

Bugger! Perhaps I was sold an unblued CM in error?? grin

The only other thing I can attribute its tendecy to rust is was to using Wipeout Patch Out and Accelerater for cleaning..

Still use it, but now wipe metal work down thats it's touched with a rag or patch covered in solvent, and then wipe over with an oily rag/patch..Patchout is supposed to contain a rust inhibitor that means you don't need to oil your barrel; with the Howa this approach was fatal!

Regards,

Peter