jbledsoe,

Do I understand you correctly? Are you saying that a leveraction should be able to handle the same pressure as a bolt action? Sure pressure is pressure but some actions are designed to handle more pressure than others.

There are tons of differences between a marlin 336 and a bolt action. First is where the action locks, the marlin locks near the rear of the bolt and a bolt action locks at the front. The rear lockup allows more movement. The thickness of the barrel around the cartridge is also thinner on the marlins due to the way the magazine comes into the reciever. Most bolt designs are much stronger.

Bolt actions are also made to direct gas from a ruptured case or a blown primer out to the side, that is what the hole is for on the side of savage 110s and remington 700s. Marlins dont have this feature and most of the gas is going to travel either along the firing pin or along the outside of the bolt, either way its going straight toward your face.

If you feel safe with your loads in your rifle than so be it. You are probably safe at those pressure becuase marlin chambered the 356 and 375 winchester and I believe they were rated up to 52000 psi (dont quote me on this because I am not 100% on the pressure). I feel safe loading my 35 rem up to about 42000 psi so I am not saying you shouldnt load above published data but just know that the 336 marlin is definatly not as strong as just about any bolt action around.

Last edited by jbadams66; 11/06/08.