I recently acquired my first semiautomatic rifle, a Sig 556 Commando, as a defense weapon for my vacation cabin. Since then I have done a little research on the 223 as a combat caliber and I am finding some very mixed opinions.

I came across this article, as an example:

Bullets called ill-suited for close combat

The article is about an Army commissioned study on the opinions of 2,600 soldiers who had served in combat, on the effectiveness of the 223. The survey found that one-fifth wanted a larger caliber; of course that means that four-fifths were satisfied with the 223.

When commenting on another Army study that found that all the 223 needs to be more effective is a different bullet a retired Marine Corps Major says:

�The Army buried the study's most important conclusion: that larger-caliber bullets are more potent. �

�It was manipulated,� said Milavic, a Vietnam veteran who manages an online military-affairs forum called MILINET. �Everybody knows there are bullets out there that are better.�

I am wondering what the general consensus is among soldiers who have actually used BOTH the 223 and 308 in combat.