Originally Posted by rost495
was thinking the 6x6 hole would eat up energy more so than pinhole of the 223....

I'm not all that concerned about killing someone though I have no qualms about it either, I simply don't want to add my own damage to innocents.. I know the intruder doesn't care, doesn't mean I'm not concerned with overpenetration, and with our CHL laws we are more responsible.... Now you are saying birdshot won't kill as easy, which I find hard to believe at 10 feet inside your bedroom, but maybe so. For another view at this, of the survivors, how many do you think were shot at close range, 10 feet or so, and how many were not incapcitated instantly? VS dead with buckshot....

BTW the 5/8 rock also has built in moisture which means more dense, heavier... but I understand the use.

Any difference between say #4 buck and 00 buck in home penetrations? And what I currently have is LEO low recoil 00 buck a stash of it just because but the side saddle has 3 inch 00 buck..... a differnece in penetration to speka of or less pellets and less recoil?

And nope, not an old house. If I wasnt' worried much about penetration issues I'd likely have a handy M14 full of nice bullets and just pummel the guy or gal that made a mistake.

Jeff

Jeff, I didn't see much difference between 00 buck and No. 1 buck, but No. 4 buck looked a lot more like #2 birdshot, IIRC. Which wasn't pretty, either. I don't feel a lot of difference in recoil between any of the above, to be honest. My home shotgun is an 11-87 M&P model. I feed it Federal FliteControl 00 buck and Federal 1-oz Foster slugs. Both are 2-3/4 inch shells. I have put 5 rounds of buck on a silhouette target at 5 yards in under 1.2 seconds with this gun, and 5 slugs in a 5-inch circle at 100 yards (slow fire), not braggin' on me, just the quality and versatility of the platform.

To be honest, what I've done is stick with 00 buck and pre-determine lanes of fire in my home that I know are "safe" (in terms of potential collateral damage). I've also added some "decorative" features to the house in a couple of places to make overpenetration less of an issue. My sheetrock/wetpack testing convinced me years ago that there's no such thing as a "safe" load when you're trying to incapacitate a bad guy but not create any collateral damage.

The only "safe" thing is to put the bad guy down for his dirt nap pronto. Your first shot is always your best shot. Make it count, and a second (or third) shot will not be required, and all ballistic materials will be retained within the new autopsy material. (BTW, this is the training doctrine of one of the major metro PD's I have trained and continue to work with, and their OIS data shows that it works.)

YMMV.

Stay safe.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars