I just love all the crazy over the 5.56 and .223. Boys and girls this is a rifle and we are talking 3200 FPS velocities. Home D is up close and personal. A canvas jacket is proof against a 55 grain .223 bullet? Let's get real here for a moment. This isn't combat nor are we shooting through walls or cars to get at a bad guy. People can talk all they want I don't think anyone would want to be on the receiving end of the 55 grain vmax, canvas coat or not. Having seen what one of those does to coyotes I'd not want that grenade going off in me.

Some TAP ammo has TAP specific bullets, the heavies for example- the 75 grain stuff. There are a couple different TAP specific bullets. The 55 grain is as far as can be determined the Vmax bullet and it only penetrates some 8" in gelatin tests with major fragmentation from the data I was able to find in a web search. Ironically what one wants in non Geneva Convention home defense situations.

Maybe someone else knows for sure if the 55 grain TAP bullet is a V-max or not. I hardly think we need TSX's, partitions or armor piercing ammo for home defense ammo. Call me crazy but I have found that the 5.56 will kill things like people and deer, coyotes etc. I know that's a radical position.

Last edited by Planemech; 02/16/09.