I am just kicking around the idea of getting a big-bore rifle for the sake of nostalgia and for future trips to Africa. The gun would only be used on perhaps Cape buffalo, as I have no intention of ever hunting rhino, elephants or the great cats (I know this may change if I ever get to Africa).

I am very sensitive to recoil, as I've had two extensive shoulder surgeries. The last operation was a total reconstruction that left a few bolts and a screw in the joint. The problem is, the screw is right on the point of the head of the humerus in the front...right where a rifle rests when it is mounted properly. Shooting rifles of even moderate recoil hurts. I'm tough, so I can take a bit, but after a few rounds I know I'm done, and have to postpone practice for another day.

I don't really want to go with the time-honored .375 H&H, as I'd like a bit more insurance if I'm hunting dangerous game. I've heard/read that some of the lower-recoiling big bores are the 404 Jeffery, 450/400 NE and 470 NE. Are there others?

Of course, I know handloading would allow me to tailor loads to my unique situation, but I'd like to have the opportunity to use factory ammo as a first choice.

Any help will be appreciated...thanks!

Last edited by seattlesetters; 06/04/09.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?