Originally Posted by doclee
If you can shoot a 30-06 and tolerate the recoil you should have no problem with a 9.3 X 62. I dislike muzzle brakes.

That I can do.

I can handle standard-weight rifles that generate around the same recoil as the .30-06/7mm Rem Mag class. My most recent purchase was a Sako 85 in .338 Federal because I wanted something that tosses a bit bigger bullet with more frontal area but doesn't kick like a mule. I haven't shot it yet, but will after I decide which scope it'll get.

I'm also not a huge fan of long-range shooting, unless it's at targets. I had a .270 Wby Mag that was so accurate I could hit anything with it out to 600+ yards. Even though I was supremely confident in it, I could just never bring myself to shoot at a live animal that far. I did take a couple of pokes at deer at 400 yards (give or take) with good results, but I'm just more comfortable getting closer and taking shots on game of 300 yards or less. I think my .338 Federal is perfect for this...a good balance of knockdown power and low recoil. It seems the 9.3x62 is right in line with this thinking.

I'm just worried about its legality for DG. If my only safari options don't take me to Zimbabwe, would I be able to use it for DG in Namibia or the RSA?

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?