Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Seattle,,,,,,,,,I believe that whatever cartridge you use in Africa, either from the 9.3x62 on up, you still may have some serious shoulder issues.

What fun is it to have a rifle and not enjoy 20-40 rounds at the range. Ok! 10 rounds then.

Regardless of cartridge, another approach would be to put a muzzle brake on the rifle.

If I were you and considering your shoulder problem, I`d rather have a cartridge more suitable for caped buffalo, WITH a brake and less recoil, rather than a less powerful cartridge without a brake and more recoil.

Yep! It`ll be noisier with more flash, but as the `ol saying goes,,,whatever advantage is gained somewhere, there will always be a dis-advantage somewhere else.

Something else to think about uh???

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it very much. However, I failed to mention I'm about 60% deaf in my left ear. If I were to lose the hearing in my right ear, I'd be up a creek.

Also, I had a nimrod launch a braked .338 Win Mag right over my head at a range of about 15' while elk hunting in WA state. After I recovered (it took about 12 hours for my hearing to come back to normal), I swore then and there I would never do that to another human being.

These two things mean muzzle brakes are out for me, even if it means giving up what I love most.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 06/05/09.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?