Originally Posted by raybass
Neck a 9.3X62 up to .375? What would that be? Then add a good pad with a mercury recoil reducer. All in a 9.5-10lb. gun.

That would ver nearly be a 375 Scoville(30-06 necked to 375). .009" diameter change is all you gain. 9.3x62 is not wildcat.

I was sitting around the campfire in RSA this March talking rifle choices for buffalo with Kevin Robertson ("The Perfect Shot"). He asked me what I thought I would use, to which I replied a 404 Jeffry. He said it was an excellent choice, but had I ever considered a 9.3x62? By the time we left for our beds, I was convinced the 9.3 was a far better choice than I had first imagined. Felt recoil, energy levels at top end meet the 4000ft/lb requirement, weight of rifle to ease recoil, effeciency of round, historical performance in Africa etc etc.

Phil Shoemaker has been a reliable source of info on this campfire for a long while, and his endorsement adds to my personal respect for the round, so much so that I have placed an order for a CZ 550 so chambered. I have to await back order, but will post results as soon as I get the rifle. I also have a bum right shoulder, and so far am too spastic to shoot well left handed.( that is an excellent hint though if you can swing it.)

My limit right now with my shoulder is a 338 win mag 250 gr TSX at 2500 ft/sec and I shoot two groups of 3 shots off the sticks. I stop then so I do not develop a flinch. Rifle is 9 lbs with scope and three rounds. Not light, but not too heavy to carry either. Take Phil's advice, I have.
Randy

Last edited by medicman; 06/06/09. Reason: change ft/lb 400/4000

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff