Carl, about 6-7 weeks, so enough time to finalize the 404 loads. I think they'll turn out to be either Swift AFs or Hornady DGXs for the softs and Barnes Banded Solids for the follow ups. The rifle handles very well and you would recognize it as the one you last saw on the Gravena - with a bit wider bore and a more definitive projectile. smile

Any idea how the case dimensions of your wildcat compare to those of the proprietary 404 Dakota?

Viejo, although I'm not an expert on the Dakota cartridges, it's my impression that the 404 Dakota is a blown-out full length version of the 404 Rimless NE. So the head diameter is 0.545" and the length ~2.875". The Ruger case is 0.532" head diameter and 2.580" length. The 2 advantages of the Ruger case in the 404 application are that an unmodified standard-length (belted) magnum action can accommodate and feed the 404 Ruger, and that you can fit 3 404 Ruger cartridges in the magazine. The 404 Rimless NE, venerable case that it is, will only fit 2, unless a drop belly mag is used. Like your thinking on the naming convention for the new cartridge.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now