Medicman, although my fillings are hanging on, my shoulder took a real beating until I figured out that there are sound historical reasons for 10 lb large medium bore rifles. Ultralight is good in a 6.5-284 but not at all a good idea in a full house 404!

I just finished placing the final pound - a lead ingot - in the hollow butt of the Alaskan stock. That'll be followed by spray foam tomorrow, and a 10 lb 404 Ruger will be finished for its African debut.

Daily routine of 10 rounds per day at Kevin Robertson's 1/4-scale 'Perfect Shot' buffalo target, -off sticks at 50 yds and off-hand at 25 - with Woodleigh 400s at a 'sedate' 2000 fps still keeps my undivided attention. Concentration on follow ups next.

Ray, I see that Woodleigh has a 350 grain 0.423" RN designed for 1800-2300 fps impact velocity. It'll be interesting to round up a few and try them. With a length of 1.128" they should be perfect in the Ruger case. BTW, the functional capacity difference between the 404 Ruger and 404 NE is only 4 grains, ~5%. Pushing the Ruger a bit more should equal the best modern 404NE MV.

Dennis, it is very gratifying to see you back on the Forum - I'll post the pictures. Thanks again for a great idea.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now