Bob,

That's the big advantage of what I have called a "wide expander" in various articles. The BBC was the original of that whole concept. Its closest approximation these days is the Woodleigh Weld-Core, though the Swift A-Frame is kinda in the same class. The Remington CLU isn't too far off, either, or the Norma Oryx. I have used all enough to know that their main virtue is punching a big hole through the vitals.

The only place I would quibble with your post is the part of about "great penetration" from such bullets. They do tend to penetrate pretty well, but it is a physical impossibility to match the penetration of something like a TSX, E-Tip, etc., (or even a Nosler Partition) when a bullet spreads out to a very wide frontal area. Certainly the wide-expander types tend to penetrate sufficiently on all but extreme angles, but they do not penetrate like the "petal" type bullets, simply because there is so much frontal area.

The TB and North Fork, however, are somewhat different in concept and results. They have the solid shank of the TSX and others, with a much smaller lead core bonded into the front end of the bullet--and in the North Fork, only the front quarter of the bullet. Thus they are sort of a compromise between the petal-type bulets and what might be called the "full-core" bonded bullets like the BBC, Woodleigh, Oryx and others. In my experience the North Fork penetrates more than the TB, on average, just because it doesn't open up as widely.

I would be very interested in hearing about cores being glued to jackets in "bonded" bullets. I have talked to a lot of bulletmakers and have yet to hear about that. All that I've talked to bond the cores to the jackets by heating up the bullet until the core starts to melt.

Bonding is a useful thing, but not magic. Mike Brady told me that the little dab of lead in the front end of North Forks didn't need to be bonded, because the bullets would work pretty much the same way without the bonding. (From what I have seen he was right.) But the word "bonded" helped sell bullets to true believers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck