When I said "They" I mean more than one. C. Sharps '75's tend to discharge without provocation. At first I figured the guy had stuck his finger on the trigger when he closed the breach. We looked the gun over and every time you would cock the hammer before you opened the breach, it would drop the hammer upon closing the breach.

One thing you never do with a Sharps is open or close the breach without first taking the hammer off the firing pin. Cocking the gun should be a safe exercise, but not with quite a few of these guns.

I have no dog in this fight, but I have observed first hand the malfunction of this particular gun, and upon research have found this problem to be far from remote.

I can't say as I have heard of any problems with their 1885's, I have handled a number of their 74's and find them quite well made. They also have a good reputation for shooting as well.

I just think it was too bad on your whirlwind tour of Big Timber, that you couldn't have stopped at Shiloh. They are great people that make the finest in firearms.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]