Originally Posted by shrapnel
When I said "They" I mean more than one. C. Sharps '75's tend to discharge without provocation. At first I figured the guy had stuck his finger on the trigger when he closed the breach. We looked the gun over and every time you would cock the hammer before you opened the breach, it would drop the hammer upon closing the breach.

One thing you never do with a Sharps is open or close the breach without first taking the hammer off the firing pin. Cocking the gun should be a safe exercise, but not with quite a few of these guns.

I have no dog in this fight, but I have observed first hand the malfunction of this particular gun, and upon research have found this problem to be far from remote.

The bullshit flag is still out there. The hammer and the breechblock on a 75 sharps are in no way connected. So if you really have seen one do that, its likely something to do with some ham handed gunparts changer wanna be prickin around with the sear. There's no other way than the sear is broken or something has been pricked with , that the hammer will dump when closing the breechblock.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com