Premium bullets have made better killers of standard calibers, like using an '06 on elk. Still, I am one those guys that, when measuring the balance, would rather err on the slightly heavier side. I consider elk big enough, tough enough and often found in places rugged enough that I like the idea of whatever little extra a bit more oomph could provide.

First, I think gmsemel is absolutely right that if you've got an '06 already the move up to the calibers you list really is a fairly small step. I mean, it's there, but if you want to step up I'd strongly recommend going ahead and getting a mid-bore. This could be a .338/06 or a .35 Whelen (.338 Fed?) on the "lower" end. By lower I mean you'd be dealing with less recoil and be giving up some velocity for longer shots if that's important to you.

IF you don't have recoil issues I'm a fan of the faster .33's like the .338 WM or what I have (and something that sounds as though you'd like) a Wby MKV .340. Insanely versatile cartridge. With it's favorite 210gr load it's as flat as my 7mag's favorite 150gr load or it can be loaded up to .275gr A-Frames for...whatever. The Winchester is really the same thing that just hasn't put in quite as much time at the gym buffing up.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.