Originally Posted by brooksrange
Originally Posted by keith
Buddy of mine killed 7 Bulls with his 257 Wea before he had a guide tell him it was not an elk rifle.

According to Clair Rees, the infamous gunwriter, world hunter and author of "Matching the gun to the game", it is very marginal for elk. Best that he recommends is a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag.

personally, I'd like to know if people knowingly hunt with a 270 Winchester for elk anymore and if so, what bullet do they use.

I couldn't care less what CR said about elk rifles. I'd be willing to bet that my wife has killed more elk than he has...<g>

AS for bullets in the 270, here's a sample of what we've used in the last few years. 130 NPT, 130 Horn, 140 Horn, 130 TSX, 130 Sierra Bt, 150 Hot Core, 150 NPT, 150 NPT, 150 Horn, 140 Sierra HPBT.

If I had to hunt elk with a 270 for the rest of my days I'd worry not and would fill up an ark or two with preme bullets and or std cnc.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 11/22/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy