Thanks Mule Deer. I enjoy a good discussion! In good spirits, of course. smile There is so much to consider when evaluating bullet tech - keeping mind that different game makes different design more desirable.

Those bullets you mentioned that didn't penetrate deeply because they opened too wide, that is a "failure" cry - We'd agree I suppose that the "controlled expansion compromise" is the goal, not maximum diameter. Bullets that expand too much or quickly don't reach the targeted organs to be effective. That's why the high velocity calibers got a bad rap originally, they delivered the projectile faster than the design of the projectile could stand. Bullet tech catches up to Roy Weatherby! Partition and A-Frames both use a barrier to stop expansion at some point- other brands use different techniques to stop "over expansion failure". But these designs give up weight, and that is not a good thing.

You ended with a "fact" that I have to question:
(I assume we aren't including solids/FMJ's because they don't create a good wound channel? They lose virtually no weight and penetrate really deep compared to expanding bullets.)

"The fact is that there are indeed some bullets that will, for all practical purposes, penetrate just as deeply as a TSX, even though they lose some weight."

ONLY IF THEY HAVE LESS EFFECTIVE FRONTAL AREA !!
Think about it. I assume we're talking equal weight and velocity to start? Given what you posted, I surmise they penetrate as deeply in spite of lost weight because they present a smaller frontal area, and therefore a smaller wound channel? And this is advantageous in what fashion? Bigger is better in wound channels I think. As I understand inertia, lost weight at a given point in time, will yield a bullet that slows faster than the bullet that lost none or less at the same time. Less inertial "kinetic" energy to carry it forward if resistance is the same, so resistance has to be reduced to go as far or farther. Correct?

You didn't miss the fact that the TSX has a smaller "effective" frontal area because of the petal design, but don't overlook the big wound channel because of the size of the widest point petal to petal. This, I think, is a good thing.

As to the expansion of the TSX, I can't tell you numbers on the bonded core bullets, but I can tell you that a recovered .308 TSX BT that killed a wild hog measured .6655 (my measurements with digital calipers). That is a 216% of original diameter. "...not all that wide..." Really? What can we expect from bonded cores?

I figure the increased initial "hematoma" from the higher velocity combined with a 5/8 inch hole deep into the vitals or completely through will work for most PG. I hope I'm right, cause TSX it is for me on my 2010 Africa trip!

I look forward to your thoughts!

"Aim small, miss small"

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"