Originally Posted by Mac84
"I understand how percentages work. I also understand that those generating higher incomes typically utilize more of the infrastructure tax revenues go to support. That is why they should also pay a higher percentage ie progressive. Another thing I understand is those who support a non-progressive flat tax or a consumption tax believe it will benefit them financially, not because it is fair."

Gotta disagree. IME, the dregs are the biggest consumers of infrastructure resources in the community I work. It's not the mid to upper class folks who are calling 911 to come get their kids out of bed for school. They aren't the people calling for a "bamblance" ride to the hospital for some silly reason. The list goes on.

Mac,

I don't disagree with your observations in your community, but across the country, the wealthy do take up plenty of infrastructure. Think about the cost to the economy of the fake energy crisis in 2002? Think about the cost of the ENRON collapse, think about the cost of the financial bailout, some of which went straight to "bonuses".

I would submit that a cop in Michigan is going to see plenty of government spending on the poorest of the poor. But look around at all that crumbling infrastructure, that was built to support and help and promote the auto industry. (including freeways across the country)

America has always spent plenty on supporting private industry (I'm not saying that is bad). Those subsidies made our economy strong, and provided lots of jobs.

Ia Arizona we have slanted our tax codes and our zoning and our water law to benefit developers, NOT sheet-rockers.

Now that the economy is in the tank, the developers are down to their last $10 or $100 million, and we (the tax-payers of Arizona) are STILL building roads and sewers out to their semi-abandoned developments.

And the cops here are arresting plenty of out of work, drunken sheet-rockers, NOT developers.

Just the way the world works.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....