Originally Posted by Scott F
I live with chronic back pain. There is no surgical fix for me. My advice is no pain meds you cannot buy over the counter. They are the door to a ruined life. I do not now nor have I ever taken prescription pain medication. Learn to live with it. I have for the last nine years.

depends.....to me the key area is sleep....if you can sleep taking the over the counter meds than yah dont need anything heavier....if your hurting to bad to sleep you need something stronger....

as far as over the counter meds.....dont over do them to aviod opiates, to much tylenol will kill your liver, hell you can do it in a single day, over do it long term on NSAIDs like Aleve and Advil and you can likely have heart problems.....if your gonna do over the counter keep a close eye on dosage, just as close as a prescription...

there are millions of ppl that function fine and have a normal quality of life on opiate pain killers....are there a few things yah have to take into consideration? sure but no big deal.....if you do not have an addictive personality and you follow the correct dosage, opiates are not dangerous....the physical dependency is overblown so long as you do what the doc says, its the psychological chit thats difficult.....if after a couple moths of taking the damn things you hate the things and dont want to be on them your safe, you can quit the damn things anytime you want to....i have been taking them off and on for a decade and if all the sudden tomorrow i had no pain i would have zero problems walking away other than a couple days of tapered doses to aviod the withdrawl hangover....

as far as im concerned opiates are safer than the over the counter chit cause the average person is scared of them and is going to approach them with caution.....in all reality the thought that the over the counter stuff is perfectly safe is what can [bleep] yah up.....overdose on tylenol and your looking for a new liver, over do it on NSAIDs and you likely have a heart attack.....follow doctors instructions to the letter and you aint gonna get enough opiates in your system to stop your breathing......

i take the damn things daily at the moment but almost exclusively in the evenings.....i can not take them and do my job so from 5am to 5pm i am not taking the things and i function clear headed and fine....do i hurt during the day? yes but i generally have enough stuff going on where it is easy to ignore the pain so its more like background noise....my problem comes at the end of the day when im trying to relax and there is nothing to take my mind off it and the fact that my back and knees are now more pissed than when i woke up in the morning.....

being on opiate pain killers DOES NOT mean being stoned all the time, hell most the time i just take enough to take the edge off, i still hurt, and after taking for them that lil bit doesnt even make me fuzzy or stoned, just takes the pain down to a level i can function most of the time.....anymore even a large dose doesnt get me stoned, it just drifts me off to sleep....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books