dmsbandit,

Ramshot's manual lists 2900 from a 117 bullet at only 56,500 psi. Alliant's manual from 2005 lists 2945 from a 120 at 48,000 psi. Barnes No. 4 lists a 115 at 2907, pressure not given--but even +P .257 data is significatly less than rounds like the .270 Winchester.

What do you define as a "HUNTING" bullet?

I have a friend in Arizona whose kids use the .250 Savage on cow elk. They have killed a dozen, mostly with one shot each, and never recovered a bullet. The bullet used is the 100-grain Nosler Partition.

With the same bullet from a .257 Roberts, I once inadvertently hit a big pronghorn at 300 yards in the right hip (he swapped ends just as I shot). He collapsed right there, and we found the bullet in the left shoulder.

Another friend here in Montana shot a big cow elk in the bones of the left shoulder with a 115-grain Nosler Partition from a .257 Roberts. The bullet was recovered under the hide on the far side.

My wife and I have killed a number of big deer (200-250 pounds live weight) with 100-grain Barnes TSX and 115-grain Nosler Partitions, and only recovered one bullet. That came from the biggest whitetail I've ever taken, what you would call an 11-pointer that weighed over 200 pounds. He was quartering strongly toward me, and the bullet hit the big shoulder joint. He dropped right there and never moved, and I found the bullet under the hide on the far side a few inches behind the rib cage.

How many big game animals have you seen shot with a .257 Roberts where a HUNTING bullet failed to penetrate sufficiently?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck