Greetings Gentlemen,

I just became a member of 24hourCF this evening because of this thread. Excellent, courteous back and fourth discussion, backed up with reasonable numbers and practical hunting experience. Thank you.

I already have a 222R and a 270 WCF and was looking for a caliber between the two for coyotes and larger deer at ranges from about 75 to 300yds or so. So after some thought and research I decided on the 257 Roberts and purchased two Ruger M77 rifles in that caliber. Then I started having second thoughts about effectiveness on a big muley right at the 300yd mark (with proper shot placement of course) when I really looked hard at the "Load Book" velocities plugged into a ballistics calculator. Just that last 50-70 yards made me think I should limit my shots to 250-260 vice 300 or so. Made me think I should have gone with a 6.5x55 or 260 shooting faster 120 grainers.

I now have a lot more confidence with my choice. I think the Nosler 110gr AB at 3000fps or a 115PT at 2900fps or a host of other fine bullets would do the job very effectively.

I found a larger degree of meat destruction with the 270WCF at closer ranges, and that is why I was looking for a between caliber. I just wanted a 257 Roberts.

Thanks again and I'll be seeing you around the campfire.

Regards

Last edited by joehemi; 05/18/10.