Originally Posted by Oregon45
Assume a Krieger stainless 1/8.5" twist barrel, light-Palma contour, finished at either 26" or 28" (I don't like waiting: Sinclair Int'l has these in stock)

Assume a short action, .473" bolt face action.

Intended use is paper punching out to 600 yards regularly, and 1000 yards very occasionally (my home range has a 600 yard facility; 1000 yard ranges in the area would require a special trip to get to). Known distance ranges probably 95% of the time with very occasional long range shooting on public land (I do this about once a year, given the drive-time to really wide open Oregon from where I live).

Stock will be either a McMillan or, and I have to read more on this, an Eliseo tube gun rifle stock. Rifle weight will be under 14 pounds. No muzzle brake so if I want to enter a match (either F-open or high power open) I should be able to with a few equipment tweaks.

Thoughts?

Oregon45,

With what you described, the 6.5x47 or 260 Rem or 6.5 CM would work just fine.

The 47 Lapua brass has fantastic consistency and is mule strong so no need to shop around. The 260 Rem has numerous brands and should not be too hard to "make" the brass good. I use Nosler brand. The 6.5 CM only has one brass source; hope it's good enough.

I have both a 260 Rem, which I love and a 6.5x47 17 lb tactical rifle (Surgeon 591, Krieger, AICS, NF 5.5-22x50)which I dearly love. With the 47 I pop off 130 VLD's at 2800 with H4350 and CCI 450's. Groups are consistently .6 MOA or better out to 1K yds. I developed my loads during the winter @ 6565' elev in Utah and never had a problem with ignition. Though I can't say I shot anything at sub zero temps; sub teens! Also push 140 VLD's a skootch over 2900 with Rel 17; 26" barrel.

What you're building will be a lot of fun to shoot. Once you get it shooting, you don't want to have to worry about burning out the barrel and starting load development all over again. You'll just want to shoot it "as is" and shoot and shoot and shoot.

Alan

Oh, and I'm having Chris Matthews of Longshot rifles (he built my tactical rig) build a hunting rifle; Pierce short action, Broughton #3.1, 26", 1:8, McM Rem Sporter Edge fill with NF 2.5-10x32, Rifle Basix......................

6.5x47L grin grin

Last edited by GSSP; 08/17/10.