Originally Posted by 264wm
What is so special about the 6.5x47 Lapua. everything I read about it indicates that the 264wm out performs it pushing 140 gr bullets faster and flater than the 129 gr in the lapua and the same bullet at least 500fps or more faster and very little recoil in my 12 1/2 lb Rem 721. in fact you can still see your target in the scope after the shot.Just wondering if these targets were certified at those distances and what bullet were you using as at that distance they must have been crawling to the target.

264wm

"Just wondering if these targets were certified at those distances and what bullet were you using"

Yes...those targets WERE CERTIFIED....BY ME!! I'm 70 years old and unlike some 'youth of the day'....I don't BS OR LIE! I guess that's from growing up with a Dad that would have had a #12 boot up my arse had he caught me in a lie!! So you'll just have to take my word on the validity of those targets....which I shoot quite often! Targets fired prone using the bipod I might add.

As for the load, I was using the Sierra 123 gr. HPBT with 38.3 grs. Varget, BR4 primers, and Lapua brass! At this loading I figure I should be able to get quite a bit over 2500 rds. without the accuracy going south due to throat erosion! And with the Lapua brass, no neck turning or other BS being required. Weigh the charges, seat the bullet and go shoot! With 'fist-sized' groups from 1300 yds. they 'were crawling' quite well!!

Here's my range. I drive 500 yards north of my homesite and I'm at the 1000 yd. firing line. This photo taken from around the 1250 yd. line late one afternoon! Think this was taken with 17X telephoto lens!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sharpsman; 09/11/10. Reason: Added photo!

Even birds know not to land downwind!