Originally Posted by Sharpsman
rost495

Yes sir....I'm sitting here right now; it's 1810 hrs. and in about 30 more minutes I'm going to be sitting at the 1300 yard line. I'm waiting for the wind to die a little; want to see how this 6.5x47Lapua is gonna handle 41 grs. N550 with a 123 gr. SHPBT. I've been pretty successful using Varget but I've been hearing good reports about the N550 so I'll maybe see what it will do a little later! Unless it's raining or blowing like a Banshee...I shoot at least 30 rounds every day; 15 early AM and 15 late evening. Lately it's been averaging wide temp variations; 55F early and 90F to 97F in the evenings!! Anyone that doesn't think these wide temp swings aren't an eye-opener as for variation of zero...well...they've got a surprise coming!!

RE N550.. all the N500s like to burn hot.. IE you can get some crappy results from mild to medium loads.... I didn't like anything in N540 until I got about to max and then all i can say is WOW.. plus a bit of extra speed to boot..... So much so that we actually talked with Viht reps and were trying to buy N540 and 530 and 550 in the cardboard big something kilo kegs in bulk by the pallet load....

I have N560 to try later on in some of my larger rounds... but I'm at the point in life where I don't get to shoot much, and when I do, I try to make it bird hunting... the deer and such... thats more or less just take the same old thing that worked and use it to harvest...

Temps open your eyes.. Wind opens your eyes.. humidity ..... the funny part is you hear folks talk on the ranges... I don't know why I had to move my scope again...... DUH.. its not you or the gun or load, its the conditions... this at competition matches... folks have no idea what a data book is for and thats why most call it a score book....

BTW on the deer... OP called in a good set of coords?? or a luck shot you were not aware of.... simply curiuos... I've heard some pretty good things from tank gunners and deer....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....