Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Steve, when did we buy into the notion that driving, flying, etc. is a privilege and not a right?
The airline and I are conducting a business transaction. The airline has a vested interest in their planes not falling out of the sky. The airline therefore has the right to put whatever stipulations I might accept into that agreement. Should those demands get too stringent, I can choose another carrier, or another mode of transportation.
But now the government has gotten themselves between me and the carrier, in our transaction. Now I have no say as to the terms of the transaction, so the government can impose whatever restrictions it likes, and I have no option but another form of transportation.
The way i see it, I should have a right to engage in any of these activities, as i see fit, without loss of basic rights, until there is a compelling and legal reason to forbid me from doing so.
Where did I go wrong?
You didn't. You said it 100% correct, except since you were speaking American, SteveNo cannot understand you. Try retyping it in neocon newspeak.